Fees on Library Materials
- The library does not charge overdue fines.
- Customers will be charged the full replacement cost if items are lost or kept for 21 days past the due date (seven days overdue for Hot Titles). Replacement items are not accepted in lieu of payment.
- Customers who keep Library of Things items more than 24 hours past the due date will be fined $20.
- With the exception of Internet access, library services will not be available when there is a balance greater than $10 on a library account.
If you owe more than $5.00 pay online through our Classic Catalog. You will need your library card number and pin.
Unique Management Services (UMS)
- Accounts that owe $50 or more from fees will be sent to Unique Management Services (UMS), a material recovery agency used by Deschutes Public Library.
- With the exception of Internet access, library services will not be available once an account is sent to UMS.
- In addition to the amount owed, these accounts will be charged a $10.00 non-refundable fee.
- Replacement costs of returned library items are removed from an account upon check-in; if, the items are in good condition and returned prior to deletion of item records.
- Customer is responsible for payment of the UMS assessed $10.00 non-refundable fee.
- Once the account is paid in full with a zero balance, access to library services is restored.
- If materials are not returned and payment is not made, these accounts are credit reported at 4 months to the national credit agencies; Experian, TransUnion, and EquiFax.
Disputing Fines and Fees
Please contact 541-617-7050 for staff assistance.
Page Last Modified Wednesday, March 8, 2023