Start your application online or visit your local library.
We are processing library card applications during the closure. If you are a Deschutes County resident 17 or older and need a library card, click the "Pre-Apply online" button below to apply for a card. We will process applications online, and aim to get a card number to you via email within three business days.
- Visit your local branch library to sign up for a library card.
Find your local branch library
Library Card Requirements
Library Cards are issued upon completing the application. Guidelines to receive a library card are listed below. Children's cards require a parent or guardian’s signature.
Both photo ID and proof of residency in Deschutes County are required to get a library card
- A valid photo ID includes photo with name such as:
- Driver’s license (only item needed if it is an Oregon license with current address in Deschutes County)
- State identification card
- Military ID
- Costco card
- Any of the following documents (paper or digital) can be used to provide a current Deschutes County address needed for proof of residency. Name of individual applying for card must be on the document.
- Oregon Driver’s license with current Deschutes County address
- Current utility bill in applicant's name
- Motor vehicle registration
- Imprinted checks
- Fishing and/or hunting license
- Lease/rental agreement
- Deed to real property
- Property tax statement
- Personal mail with physical address postmarked within 30 days
Youth Under 17
For those under the age of 17, a parent or legal guardian’s signature is required on the Library card application. By filling out the appropriate information and signing the application, the parent or guardian is responsible for:
- All materials checked out on the Library card
- Deciding what materials are appropriate for their children
- Allowing the use and type of Internet access (filtered or nonfiltered)while in the Library
Non-Resident Library Cards
Library cards are available to those who do not have a permanent address in Deschutes County. These cards are available on a yearly, quarterly or monthly basis.
A non-resident card entitles users to the same privileges as a resident library cardholder except where due to contractual reasons, access to databases or applications is unavailable.
Non-Resident Yearly - $195
Non-Resident Quarterly - $55
Non-Resident Monthly - $20
Lost Library card / Replacement card
If you’ve lost or misplaced your library card, please notify library staff as soon as possible (Library phone numbers and hours ).
A replacement card is available from your local library at no charge. Please be sure to bring photo identification. If you are under the age of 17 and don’t have a photo ID, your parent or guardian will need to be present and present their photo ID.